Thursday 22 September 2011

And Now Ladies and Gentlemen, a Venty-Rant

Today Linus arrived (yay!), but I'm running on such little sleep that I'm quite cranky.
Here's why:
1) My sister neglected to pack so many essential items and has comfortably helped herself to the following of mine:
 -Razor
-Contact solution
-Facial Moisturizer
-Hair brush
-Hair elastics
-Clothing (when I haven't attended to her laundry at a fast enough pace. See when I do my own laundry I do hers as well, because I'm nice like that.)
What pisses me off is that I paid for the vast majority of these items myself and she just says, "Yeah, but Dad will buy us new stuff when we run out." Well! I packed 4 razor blades because that's more than I knew I would need in a 4 month span. However, they've been diminishing at a much escalated rate because of the double-use. Venus razor blades 'aint cheap when you're a student, Becks.

2) "Things" don't work in Scotland and people don't seem to notice or care.
Yes, I am little high-strung and two of my personal mottos are "my way or the highway" (except that makes me think of two unpleasant things; the first being my Grandpa Fred when he's in a foul-prairie irritated mood and the second being that incredibly heinous song "Life is a Highway" that definitely makes my list of worst songs ever) and my more preferred mantra of "if you want something done right do it yourself". I'm a lot like my Grandpa Ovans in that way.
So things that don't work include: Virgin Media having issues with our phone, internet, and cable (I wonder if I'll even be able to post this or if the internet will crap-out in the end), our toilet. Seriously WTF?!!! Our "handyman" has come 4 times now and our toilet still takes up to 6 pumps to flush sometimes. Also, our gas stove won't light without a lighter because the spark-flicker-thingy is broken. Then other things around the city just seem to be broken and people are just kind of bobbing around like "whatever." Yes, I know, life goes on. But as a SERIOUS multi-tasker, inconveniences disturb my order of things.

3) In Canada if you're walking on a busy street (or any street), stairwell, etc. one walks on the right side in mock imitation of cars. Wouldn't it make sense if people here walked on the left side of the street when it was really busy so that people weren't constantly bumping into each other? Well people don't walk on the left, they walk random and do bump into eachother/me a bunch.

4) People here drive like crazy-people. Last time I was in the UK I was in London for 3 days. My family saw somebody get hit by a car during those 3 days. It was scary. Since we've been here one of Meghan's peers at the University got hit by a car when she was out for a run. That's scary. Cars have right-of-way always. The lack of cross-walks is disappointing, and the push-activated cross-walks literally take 3 mins for the light to change to allow pedestrians to cross and then it gives one a grand total of 10 seconds to cross the street. If one isn't fortunate enough to cross the street in such a speedy manner (perhaps due to bumping into people because nobody is walking on the left) then one suffers the consequences of being honked at rudely by one of many ADHD driver.

K, that's all for now folks. Sorry for the drama. In all seriousness I am missing Canadian culture, but I DO NOT want to go back yet. I love Europe and I am having loads of fun.

PS- Due to the mention of both my grandpas I feel I should mention that I love both my Grandpa's very much. I am so fortunate to have all my grandparents alive. Grandpa Fred happens to have a feisty temper, which is mostly just hilarious to me. My Grandpa Ovans is the one I am closer to though. I am his obvious favourite grandchild because of our similarities. Right now he is recovering from a stroke and I feel sad that I can't be with him right now, but happy that he is recovering so well. He is a strong person.

1 comment:

  1. Becka, buy your own stuff! And do your own laundry!!
    Hahaha, that should take care of that for you :-)

    That's also pretty freaky about the runner getting hit by a car.... So sketchy. I think it's totally lame that cars have the right of way, especially since there's so much drinking that goes on there! Ughhh, kind of fdreaky to think about, having to J walk everywhere in a city where drivers go way faster tahn they do in Vic.
    And people walking, OH MY GOD! In Oxford Circus, it was SO ridiculous, there were sooooo many people, all trying to walk in alternbating directions, and coming and going from all the crazy number of shops (taht's the place that had 4 H&M's on the same street, and your favorite, Primark) and everybody was bumping into eachother, and it's just commmonplace. Nobody even cares, and they're all quite discourteous. Anyways, I hope you're catching up on some sleep girl! I miss you, and so does our puppy!!

    ReplyDelete