Saturday 1 October 2011

pure quality.

We had nice weather! It lasted a mere 3 days, but I am very thankful! 20-25 degrees for 3 days!! I was able to walk around in a t-shirt or vest (tank top; I'm trying to pick up local words and slang). Today, although I haven't been outside yet I can see that the world has returned to its usual shade of chilly Scotland-grey.

This past week I have had a photoshoot, interview, casting call, and visited camera obscura. The photoshoot and interview landed on the same day; Tuesday. On Tuesday I took the bus by myself to West Lothian where I shot with a photog and his assistant who were both my age. Yay! It was great to hang-out with some polite, funny Scots for the day and chat about similarities and differences in our cultures. However, the bus ride out to West Lothian took 45mins and the bus ride home took 1.5hrs! (Rush hour). Then, as soon as I got home, I had to shovel food, write a cover letter, and print off my photo for my Lush interview. My interview involved 50 or so people split into 6 groups, rotating thru 6 stations. The interview lasted 2hrs and was actually a lot of fun because I got to hang-out and chat with some lovely ladies in my group who also happened to be in my age-range. I didn't end up getting the job (which I was a little bit surprised about because I have an excellent C.V. for my age and I displayed a lot of product knowledge, however...I have one fatal flaw...I am not a Scot). The interview involved some weird questions about ones' favourite Christmas memory and favourite Christmas smells, and all and all a lot of talk about Christmas. In some ways this country is a little backwards. In a Canadian interview for a large corporation one would never be asked about Christmas they would be asked about the holidays. Political correctness all the way. Also in a backward-fashion, I was not allowed to bring my grande caramel macciato on the bus. Apparently I might "spill on myself"...um ok? That is never a problem in North America and the woman sharing jam cookies with her toddler-son on the bus is far more likely to make a mess than me and my morning coffee.

Casting call went really well, but I haven't heard anything back yet so I am a little worried I didn't book that either. The casting call went so well I was sure I'd booked it. It was for an in-store fashion show and the owner of the shop is a really sweet women who hand-picked me off the Model Team's website. My self-esteem is feeling totally shot because if I didn't book the casting then I have suffered two failures in a week which is really unusual for me. I am only good at a small handful of things. Two of those things in the petite handful happen to be job interviews and modeling. Ouch.

Lastly, Camera Obscura was ridiculously fun. Definitely one of the best, if not the best tourist attraction I've visited. Me, Linus, and Becks spent about two hours laughing our butts off and enjoying a museum full of optical illusions. If anybody comes to visit me in Scotland whether that be before Jan or during the summer we are definitely going back to Camera Obscura. For less money than a movie I was definitely way more entertained. http://www.camera-obscura.co.uk/

Well time for Linus and I to pack up and head to Pure Gym. It's kind of funny, it takes us almost longer to get to and from the gym than the amount of time we actually spend there. It's quite the walk!

1 comment:

  1. Your perfectionsism is usually in check, but I sense that some Maladaptive perfectionism is slipping in... Don't let it get to you!! At least you were picked from the Agency website to even attend the casting call! That's SO impressive!! You're doing great, and it's great that you had a good shoot!! I'm so glad you're getting to do things out there.
    Oh- so jealous about Camera Obscura!! IT looks soooo cool!! I really wanna go!!

    Love you always!!

    ReplyDelete