Saturday 3 September 2011

New Town is Old

My new home and room are lovely. A little musty smelling and COLD. Summer is officially over in Scotland; bring on the brrrr! The upstairs of my residence has a website (http://www.stevenson-house.co.uk/). We ate breakfast with the MacFies on our first morning here. Very surreal. 5 kids! Here is a photo of the outside of my new residence.

                                      Please ignore the semi-sideburn look I have going on.

Fashion:
The women here wear floral prints dresses: cute. The punk scene exists. Men actually give a sh*t when it comes to clothing.
I am on the prowl. My prey? A faux-fur vest and a chunky "look at me" watch. Unfortunately the watch I've began to stalk is a Marc by Marc Jacobs. A little out of my price range, but very beautiful. The broke student in me can't go in for the kill. I'm fairly certain the most expensive thing I own is my glasses frames, and those are a necessity (aren't they?).

Music:
Yesterday while in my first Edinburgh-pub I saw an ad for a Kasabian UK tour this fall/winter. I definitely have to look into this. "Fire" has been one of my favourite songs for a long time.

Food:
So far I've eaten Japanese, Kurdish, and random UK tidbits here and there. Japanese= pricey. Kurdish= delicious!! I went to my first UK Starbucks today...very similar to home (yay)! The produce here is itty-bittty (probably because it isn't jacked up GMOs), from South Africa, and different tasting.
Oh and my first beer in a pub here was Heineken. I took a picture and thought of Kristen.

Culture:
I need a sign for around my neck that reads "Canadian" or even "Not a Yankee". Nobody has asked me where I'm from instead I just feel slightly ignored. However, customer service definitely exists here (unlike France) which is fantastic. I love the abundance of pubs, nail bars, art studios, and cafes.
An immense amount of people actually have red hair. Stereotype confirmed.

My apologies for the boring post. I am still jetlagged and self-conscious. Give me time and it will improve.

Ps- contacted the Model Team today. Fingers crossed.








No comments:

Post a Comment